Friday, November 4, 2011

P&N

Procrastination and NaNoWriMo. I am a chronic procrastinator. If there is even the slightest chance I can put something off until tomorrow, it won't get done. I end up studying for exams the day of, my apartment never gets cleaned, and I have trouble making myself sit down and write 1,667 words a day on my novel to meet the 50k word requirement for NaNo. It's not on purpose. I have every intention today to write over 1000 words. In the course of 10 hours, I have written two sentences. 39 words. I have spent the last two hours staring at my notes trying to motivate myself to write when all I want to do is watch Dr. Who. And get distracted by Sherlock.
Or the cats need attention.
Or I get the munchies and I spend time getting food.
Point being, I suck at this. Last year, I was able to write quite a bit for NaNo. I didn't make 50k but I did pretty well. I haven't written since last november, and I seem to have lost my drive to write. I tried writing a short story every month, even created a Facebook group for it. But, unfortunately, I've let life get in the way. Between work, classes, internship interview process, a social life, and the apartment I've found plenty of excuses.
Well, here's to hoping I get my shit together long enough to write something.

Excerpt:
Here's the first paragraph I've done.
"With the ever-exploited facts of global warming hanging over the heads of humanity, most people thought the world would end in a natural disaster. The ozone layer would be destroyed and living creatures would be wiped out by solar rays. The world would be encased in another ice age. Religious freaks thought that their god’s minions would come down to earth and the devout would be taken under wing as the heathens were destroyed. Government experiments would get loose and kill off the human race in a pandemic. Some surmised that terrorist attacks and weapons of war would destroy us all.
How surprised was everyone when death came in the form of tiny white spiders?"

and after that it's only two sentences.

I can do this...it's only 49,846 more words to go :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment